5 Helpful tips for sizing down
Tuesday Dec 03rd, 2019
If you no longer need or want old furniture or items, donating it is always a great and easy option. Some of the locations you can drop off these items locally are:
- The Grimsby GBF
- A local Goodwill
- A local Salvation Army
- A local homeless shelter
- A highschool drama department for staging props
- A local church – for families in need
- A local theatre for staging props
Many items we cannot bring with us are still perfectly useable and worth selling. There are a few ways to go about selling your furniture and all sorts of household and personal items.
- Kijiji – https://www.kijiji.ca/
- Letgo - https://www.letgo.com/en-ca
- Put an ad on your Facebook
- Have a yard sale
- Offer the items to the Buyers of your home for an additional cost
- Put up flyers in your neighbourhood/local coffee shops/stores with pictures of the items
3. Refinish or reupholster
Before you decide to get rid of it, consider refinishing your furniture to get a brand new look. Take the furniture to a professional restoration expert or go the DIY route. Use a little imagination and turn your old furniture into something new and amazing. Put on shiny new paint, or go the opposite route and get a vintage look by creating an artfully cracked or distressed look. For old couches and chairs, consider reupholstering the pieces with a fresh new fabric.
There are many interesting ways to repurpose all types of furniture and personal items. A helpful website to visit for inspiration is www.pinterest.com
You can recycle the material of the furniture itself. If it’s made of wood, metal or some other recyclable material, you can take it straight to your nearest large recycling bin or community recycling facility.